The 10 Lenses is a breakthrough research-based framework that illuminates how people view and respond to race, ethnicity and other identity differences through 10 distinct “lenses.” These distinctly different belief systems are a powerful decoding device — a key to managing conflict, increasing effectiveness, and communicating and crafting messages within and across highly diverse organizations and communities. The 10 Lenses can help you effectively understand and address cultural diversity from the mail-room to the board room.
The beliefs, values and behaviors associated with the “lenses” are described by Mark Williams, author of The 10 Lenses, Your Guide to Living and Working in a Multicultural World. They have been confirmed by The Gallup Organization, which conducted a groundbreaking, 4,000-person survey on the 10 Lenses in 2001.
Through an understanding of how these lenses affect employee, community and customer interactions, you can identify potential sources of conflict before they harm your organization. There are also 10 Lenses follow-up materials that reinforce the learning and provide take-away tools that other stakeholders can use for analysis and education.
What Others Have Gained from The 10 Lenses: Self Awareness, Sensitivity, Skills, Systems and Strategy
- Help your leaders understand how even the best, most well-meaning employees inadvertently miss opportunities, undermine their colleagues and put themselves and their companies at legal and competitive risk
- Enable your managers to step back and recognize the lenses embedded in their organization’s management and human-resource systems
- Develop your organization’s ability to improve product development and customer service strategies
- Comprehensive Applications
Managerial Practices — The 10 Lenses influence the way managers supervise and interact with employees, make work assignments, award promotions, and much more. The 10 Lenses help you explore ways managers can encourage communication and promote team cooperation.
- HR Systems — Organizational cultures tend to reflect long-held assumptions about productivity and success. The 10 Lenses make HR practitioners more conscious of unintended barriers through an understanding of how the lenses become embedded in HR systems.
- Mentoring — What makes a mentor/protégé relationship successful? This course looks at ways to use the 10 Lenses framework to ensure that mentoring relationships are inclusive.
- Customer Interactions — When dealing with a diverse customer base, employees must be sensitive not only to different cultural groups, but also to the diversity of beliefs and values within cultural groups.
- Marketing and Demographics — How do you really reach your customers? In today’s diverse marketplace there are both new opportunities and new challenges. The 10 Lenses help you explore ways to connect with a broader customer base and avoid marketing pitfalls.
- 10 Lenses Training
- Meet David Thomas and Don Clifton
- Expert Perspectives
- 10 Lenses Assessments
- The 10 Lenses Book and CD
- Visit the 10 Lenses Client Portal